West Brom`s Brown Ideye reveals visa delay
London: Nigeria striker Brown Ideye revealed on Sunday that delays over his visa and work permit have prevented him from linking up with new club West Bromwich Albion.
Ideye, 25, joined the Premier League side from Ukrainians Dynamo Kiev last month for an undisclosed club-record fee, signing a three-year contract with an option for a further year.
However, he has yet to travel to the United Kingdom, meaning he missed a pre-season friendly against Nottingham Forest last week and is also due to miss a fixture with Port Vale on Tuesday.
"Officials at the British High Commission (in Nigeria) are still working on it," Ideye told the BBC Sport website.
"The club has fulfilled all the necessary requirements, but I have been told that the British High Commission require up to 15 days to sort this, which is preventing my ability to travel.
"The public holiday in Nigeria last week (Eid) slowed things down a little bit on this side.
"I hope to get it sorted in the next couple of days because I can`t wait to join my new team-mates in England."
The striker admitted that he was likely to miss West Brom`s opening Premier League game at home to Sunderland on August 16.
"I need to join the team first then train with the squad in front of the manager (Alan Irvine) and so far I have not been able to do that," he said.
Ideye scored 34 goals in three seasons with Ukrainian giants Dynamo, having previously played for Sochaux and Neuchatel Xamax after starting his career in his homeland with Ocean Boys.
He has won 24 caps for Nigeria, scoring five times, but was left out of the squad that reached the last 16 at the World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day
- FSSAI to remove potassium bromate from food additives list
- French Open 2016: Stan Wawrinka escapes historic blow, Garbine Muguruza struggles