Football WC: Injuries mount for under-fire Portugal
Brasilia: Striker Hugo Almeida and defender Fabio Coentrao are major injury doubts for Portugal coach Paulo Bento in the wake of their 4-0 drubbing by Germany at the World Cup.
Portuguese media report Real Madrid`s Coentrao is out for a minimum of 10 days with a leg injury despite managing to finish the Group G match.
Almeida is also rated doubtful for Portugal`s next clash against the USA on June 22 after pulling up with a muscle injury in the first-half against Germany.
"The outlook isn`t the best, they are two muscular injuries and will take time to heal," said Bento.
"We`ll have to see how bad they are, but the signs are not encouraging."
Bento is definitely without centre-back Pepe for the Stars and Stripes game after his first-half dismissal against Germany for head-butting Thomas Mueller, who claimed a hat-trick.
"We have to come up with the best solutions to any absences now," said Bento.
"We have to fight for our objectives and goals.
"We`ll be under a lot of pressure, regardless of the result of Ghana verses the USA.
"Our goal remains to qualify. We`re not happy, starting a tournament with a result like this makes it complicated.
"Now we`ll find out who we are and we`ll see our capacity to fight for our goals."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living