Ghana`s coach to stay despite World Cup exit
Accra, Ghana: The head coach of Ghana`s Black Stars, Kwasi Appiah, will keep his job despite the team`s first-round World Cup exit, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) has said here.
Appiah took Ghana to their worst performance in the World Cup since the Black Stars debuted at the 2006 finals in Germany, reports Xinhua.
The Black Stars, quarter finalists four years ago, finished at the bottom in Group G with one point following defeat to the US, a draw with Germany and loss to Portugal.
However, GFA president Kwesi Nyantakyi said the executive committee of the FA has expressed its confidence to the continuity in office of the head coach.
"So, we will finalise discussions on new terms on his further engagements," he told reporters here Wednesday.
He said the executive committee, the highest decision making body of the association, at its meeting earlier in the day, also asked Appiah to review the selection of players and plan with the future in mind.
"We also asked the head coach to review the current squad and retain players only on the basis of competence, commitment and discipline."
"The coach was further encouraged to consider young additions to the team," Nyantakyi said.
Ghana have now shifted attention to the African Cup of Nations qualifiers in September to book a place in the 2015 finals in Morocco.
Ghana placed fourth in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders
- Watch: Dwayne DJ Bravo gives rib-tickling sneak-peek into upcoming episode of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!
- Sting row: Harish Rawat asked to appear before CBI on May 24