World Cup stadium to be opened
Fortaleza: The Arena Castelao in the north-eastern city here is to be officially opened Sunday.
At 5pm, local time, the first 2014 football World Cup stadium to be completed opens its doors with president Dilma Roussef expected to arrive at approximately 5:30pm, reports Xinhua.
Security will be tight at the event, over 1,000 police officers will be present as well as 410 private security guards to ensure celebrations are carried out smoothly.
Visitors will be allowed to enter the arena from 6pm with a show to celebrate the official unveiling.
World Cup secretary Ferruccio Feitosa, who has overseen proceedings here, requested that fans come to the event using yellow and green clothes, the colours of the Brazilian national team. Feitosa also claimed he expected the event to fill the stadium`s 65,000 capacity.
The Arena Castelao will be used during the Confederations Cup next year before the World Cup twelve months later.
Since preparations for the 2014 World Cup began the entire country has been hindered with delays and elevated costs. But this weekend brings hugely positive news with the first of 12 arenas declared ready for action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical