World Cup stadium to be opened
Fortaleza: The Arena Castelao in the north-eastern city here is to be officially opened Sunday.
At 5pm, local time, the first 2014 football World Cup stadium to be completed opens its doors with president Dilma Roussef expected to arrive at approximately 5:30pm, reports Xinhua.
Security will be tight at the event, over 1,000 police officers will be present as well as 410 private security guards to ensure celebrations are carried out smoothly.
Visitors will be allowed to enter the arena from 6pm with a show to celebrate the official unveiling.
World Cup secretary Ferruccio Feitosa, who has overseen proceedings here, requested that fans come to the event using yellow and green clothes, the colours of the Brazilian national team. Feitosa also claimed he expected the event to fill the stadium`s 65,000 capacity.
The Arena Castelao will be used during the Confederations Cup next year before the World Cup twelve months later.
Since preparations for the 2014 World Cup began the entire country has been hindered with delays and elevated costs. But this weekend brings hugely positive news with the first of 12 arenas declared ready for action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing