Bhullar is India`s top player in world rankings
Kuala Lumpur: Gaganjeet Bhullar is now the top Indian golfer in world rankings as he achieved a career-best ranking of 85 after his runner-up finish at the Avantha Masters last Sunday.
Bhullar`s previous best was 88th achieved towards the end of last year.
Jeev Milkha Singh, who once ranked in the top-30, is the second best Indian at 104th place. In March 2009, Jeev was ranked 28th, the best-ever by an Indian. He was in the top-50 for a total of 68 weeks between late 2006 and early 2009.
Anirban Lahiri is ranked 158th and Shiv Kapur is at 204th.
Bhullar, a four-time Asian Tour winner, is now on top of the Asian Tour Order of Merit where he leads with earnings of USD 262,648.
"There were plenty of positives from the week. I was hitting it straight throughout the tournament and my iron-striking also improved. My course management has improved a lot over the last seven years on the Asian Tour," said Bhullar.
The 24-year-old will continue his rivalry with Aiken at the USD 2.75m Maybank Malaysian Open, which gets underway on Thursday.
Bhullar is confident he can carry his momentum into the Maybank Malaysian Open, which is co-sanctioned with the European Tour, and extend his lead on the Order of Merit.
"I have a strong feeling that with my current form, another tournament win is just around the corner," said the Indian, who earned 12 Official World Golf Ranking points and moved up to 85th in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro