Chavez shot at golf `out of bounds`: US
Washington: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was `out of bounds` by suggesting that golf was a bourgeois sport, the US State Department has said, defending the sport as a `truly global` game played by people with a variety of backgrounds.
Chavez railed against golf during his weekly Sunday television show last month, saying it was only accessible for the wealthy. His comments have reportedly prompted officials to begin closing two of the country`s most well-known golf courses.
For years the United States and Venezuela have had tit-for-tat verbal diplomatic exchanges, but this time State Department spokesman PJ Crowley employed some humor Wednesday, calling himself the `self-appointed ambassador-at-large for golf.`
`The suggestion by Mr Chavez that golf ... is bourgeois is a mulligan,` Crowley said. `And once again Mr Chavez, one of the hemisphere`s most divisive figures, finds himself out of bounds.`
Crowley noted that Argentine Angel Cabrera won the US Masters tournament in April over `good-old-boy` Kenny Perry, who had built a publicly accessible golf course in his home state of Kentucky. He also pointed out that Tiger Woods`s family heritage `literally spans continents.`
Chavez, in his live marathon broadcast, rejected golf as a legitimate sport and said the use of golf carts demonstrates its laziness, according to an American newspaper.
`Let`s leave this clear,` Chavez said. `Golf is a bourgeois sport.`
`I respect all sports,` said Chavez, a baseball fan. `But there are sports and there are sports. Do you mean to tell me (golf) is a people`s sport?`
The Venezuelan government will reportedly build low-income housing in place of the golf courses to address the country`s housing problem.
Chavez`s tirade against golf is a break from communist ally Cuba, which is working with European and Canadian firm to build more golf courses to attract tourists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow