England`s Poulter wins the Australian Masters
Melbourne: England`s Ian Poulter overhauled Geoff Ogilvy to win the Australian Masters by three strokes on Sunday, making light of the windy conditions to upset the hometown hero on his own course.
Poulter, trailing by two strokes overnight, threw down the gauntlet on the very first hole, landing his tee-shot on the green of the driveable par-four and sinking his eagle putt to draw level with Ogilvy on 13-under.
The 35-year-old then piled on the pressure with birdies on the middle holes before Ogilvy surrendered with a bogey-strewn back nine at Victoria Golf Club, where he had been a member since his junior days.
Poulter finished with a four-under-par 67 for a total of 269 which secured him a winner`s cheque of AUD 180,000 and was his first tournament victory since beating Luke Donald in the World Match Play Championship final in Spain in May.
World number one Donald shot a scratchy one-over 72, to finish joint 12th with a total of 280.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan