England`s Poulter wins the Australian Masters
Melbourne: England`s Ian Poulter overhauled Geoff Ogilvy to win the Australian Masters by three strokes on Sunday, making light of the windy conditions to upset the hometown hero on his own course.
Poulter, trailing by two strokes overnight, threw down the gauntlet on the very first hole, landing his tee-shot on the green of the driveable par-four and sinking his eagle putt to draw level with Ogilvy on 13-under.
The 35-year-old then piled on the pressure with birdies on the middle holes before Ogilvy surrendered with a bogey-strewn back nine at Victoria Golf Club, where he had been a member since his junior days.
Poulter finished with a four-under-par 67 for a total of 269 which secured him a winner`s cheque of AUD 180,000 and was his first tournament victory since beating Luke Donald in the World Match Play Championship final in Spain in May.
World number one Donald shot a scratchy one-over 72, to finish joint 12th with a total of 280.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security