IGU`s golf school reaches Srinagar
Srinagar:In the first ever National Initiative for Golf in Schools (NIGS), the Indian Golf Union (IGU) is promoting a coaching programme here for school children from DPS and Presentation Convent.
“Women`s Golf Association of India (WGAI) is subsidising and executing the 10-day coaching camp in the valley for all the children,” said WGAI secretary general Champika Sayal.
Orientation for 54 children commenced from Monday at DPS Srinagar, which has golf facilities within its premises, and the Royal Springs Golf Course. Presentation Convent is being represented by 30 girls between the ages of 8-12 years while DPS is being represented by 23 girls and boys.
National Golf Academy of India (NGAI) coach Vikram Sethi said: "Being originally from Kashmir and this being where I learnt to play golf, to come back and teach children is the most nostalgic and exhilarating experience for me. This is the best thing that could have been done for the children by IGU and WGAI. Given the beautiful golf courses in Gulmarg, Srinagar and Pahalgam, I see a great future for golf in Kashmir."
Champika lauded the efforts of IGU`s NIGS programme, adding: "It is important for the future of girls from Jammu and Kashmir to represent the state in golf in the coming years. I am duty bound to develop the game for girls in particular in here. Besides the wonderful courses in the valley, NIGS is proposed to be implemented at other venues in Jammu, Udhampur and Leh by 2014.”
IGU has provided 450 golf balls and assorted junior clubs for the programme.
IGU director general Abhi Parmar said: “In a bid to promote grass-roots level particiaption in India, IGU has undertaken to initiate the NIGS programme. The IGU will appoint golf development volunteers who will be trained to conduct introduction-to-golf coaching programmes in schools throughout India, especially in the smaller towns and mofussil areas, in association with local golf-courses."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees