Jeev, Muniyappa for Avantha Masters
New Delhi: A fit-again Jeev Milkha Singh and Indian Open champion C Muniyappa will spearhead the home challenge in a star-studded field of the European, Asian and PGTI tri-sanctioned Avantha Masters golf tournament from February 11 to 14.
The strong line-up in the USD 2.1 million event also includes Chinese star Liang Wen-chong, Thai duo Thaworn Wiratchant and Chapchai Nirat, who is returning to India after establishing a new world 72-hole scoring record with a stunning 32-under 256 last year.
Marcus Both of Australia, winner of the 2009 Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open, and Filipino Angelo Que, the 2008 Philippine Open winner, will also be in the title mix.
Jeev, who welcomed the arrival of his first child last month, is hoping to make it a double celebration with a victory on home soil at the Avantha Masters.
"I am sure this is going to have a huge impact on my game, and I am sure it will be for the better. The arrival of the baby will surely give me some added motivation," said Jeev, who was Asia`s number one in 2006 and 2008.
Currently ranked 61st in the world, Jeev will be aiming for victory to boost his chances of breaking into the world`s top-50 by the end of March, which will be rewarded with an invitation to the Masters Tournament, the year`s first Major.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official