Jim Furyk joins 2014 major champs in Grand Slam event
New York: American Jim Furyk will complete the field for the 32nd PGA Grand Slam of Golf, the annual 36-hole showdown between the year`s major tournament winners after he was named as the fourth player on Wednesday.
Furyk will join Masters champion Bubba Watson of the United States, US Open winner Martin Kaymer of Germany and Northern Ireland`s Rory McIlroy, the British Open and PGA Championship winner, in the elite field October 14-15 at Port Royal Golf Course in Bermuda.
McIlroy`s back-to-back major wins, the first by one player since Irishman Padraig Harrington in 2008, opened a spot in the field for the top player among past major champions based upon results in this year`s majors.
Australian Adam Scott, last year`s Grand Slam winner after capturing his first major title at the 2013 Masters, topped that list but turned down the invitation due to a schedule conflict.
That opened the door to 44-year-old Furyk, the 2003 US Open champion. Furyk, whose best finishes in the majors this year was fourth in the British Open and fifth equal in the PGA, won the Grand Slam event that year and in 2008 as well.
Rickie Fowler finished in the top five at all four majors this year, but the American has not won a major title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling