Kapur rallies on back to stay in contention in Japan
Hyogo: Shiv Kapur staged a tremendous fight back on the back nine, where he hit an eagle, to card a sub-par round for the third day running and stay in contention for a good finish at the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open, here today.
Kapur, lying eighth overnight, shot 69 and moved to nine-under but slipped three places down to tied 11th.
At five shots behind the leader on a crowded leader-board, Kapur can still make the charge on the final day.
Meanwhile, the other Indians had a bit of struggle as Jeev Milkha Singh (74) dropped to tied 48th, Chiragh Kumar (71) was also tied 48th and SSP Chowrasia (76) was way down in 71st place.
Local star Masamichi Uehira fired a third round score of six-under-par 65 to grab a one-shot lead over Filipino Juvic Pagunsan after 54 holes.
Uehira is now 14-under-par 199 but with 14 players within five shots at the 150 million Yen (approximately USD 1.9 million) event sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour, the final day will see some exciting finishes.
Kapur said he had managed some rest after jet-lag and the travel from Europe but could not get going on the front nine.
"I was a couple of over-par after nine. I really fought back hard. I had a good rest last night. I think my first fairway of the day was on the ninth hole. I was completely out of rhythm," said Kapur.
"I dug deep and I told my caddy, `let`s shoot a 31 on the back nine and get back into this.` I almost did that if I birdied the last but you can?t complain with the way I fought back. All in all it was a good comeback to give myself a chance if I can hit a low one."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says