Lahiri, Sujjan tied 16th at Hong Kong Open
Hong Kong: Three birdies on the closing three holes saw Anirban Lahiri finish the first round at one-under 69 to be tied at 16th place along with Sujjan Singh, who also shot 69, at the UBS Hong Kong Open on Thursday.
The Indians were five shots behind World No 2 Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland, who launched his quest for victory with a six-under-par 64.
He shared first round lead with Spaniard Alvaro Quiros and England`s David Horsey.
Jyoti Randhawa (70) was provisionally 29th, while Digvijay Singh (72) was at tied 55th, and Jeev Milkha Singh (73) and Himmat Rai (73) were tied 77th.
SSP Chowrasia shot 74 while Shiv Kapur, Gaganjeet Bhullar and Rahil Gangjee had disappointing rounds of 75 each.
The reigning US Open champion McIlroy tamed the winds at the Hong Kong Golf Club to sink six birdies.
Two-time champion in 2004 and 2007, Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain maintained his love-affair with the UBS Hong Kong Open with a solid 65 to trail by one behind the leaders.
Philippines` Juvic Pagunsan`s hopes of wrapping up the Asian Tour`s Order of Merit crown was given a significant boost with a solid 68, marred only by a three putt bogey on the 10th hole.
Besides Pagunsan, Korean star Y E Yang and Thailand`s Kiradech Aphibarnrat also failed to finish their round due to bad light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof