Michelle Wie named Youth Games ambassador, eyes Rio Games
Berlin: American golfer Michelle Wie, who helped her sport win a place at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, has been appointed Youth Olympics ambassador, the International Olympic Committee said on Monday.
Wie, 24, will advise golfers during the 2014 Nanjing Youth Games next year. Olympic champions Michael Phelps and Yelena Isinbayeva are also Youth Olympic ambassadors.
The American is hoping to compete at the 2016 Olympics when golf returns to the games after more than a century.
"I went to the London Olympic Games last year and that really got me inspired," said Wie, who was part of golf`s Olympics bidding team in 2009.
"It got me motivated and I`m going to do everything I can. It`s one of my biggest focuses, making the American team for Rio."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing