Michelle Wie named Youth Games ambassador, eyes Rio Games
Berlin: American golfer Michelle Wie, who helped her sport win a place at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, has been appointed Youth Olympics ambassador, the International Olympic Committee said on Monday.
Wie, 24, will advise golfers during the 2014 Nanjing Youth Games next year. Olympic champions Michael Phelps and Yelena Isinbayeva are also Youth Olympic ambassadors.
The American is hoping to compete at the 2016 Olympics when golf returns to the games after more than a century.
"I went to the London Olympic Games last year and that really got me inspired," said Wie, who was part of golf`s Olympics bidding team in 2009.
"It got me motivated and I`m going to do everything I can. It`s one of my biggest focuses, making the American team for Rio."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?
- Pakistan has started behaving like an enemy: JD(U)
- Donald Trump links death of NBA star's cousin to black vote
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'