Peter Whiteford disqualified from Avantha Masters
Gurgaon: Scottish golfer Peter Whiteford, who was overnight tied second at the tri-sanctioned Avantha Masters here, was on Sunday disqualified from the final round for moving the ball during the third round.
Whiteford, who was a stroke off the pace at 10-under 206, was disqualified after a review of yesterday`s recording which showed that his ball had moved on the 18th fairway at the DLF Golf and Country Club.
He should have incurred a stroke`s penalty and the ball would have been replaced had the incident come to light on Saturday.
"On the 18th fairway during the third round while playing his approach shot, Peter Whiteford felt that his ball may have moved and for confirmation asked his caddy, a fellow competitor and a TV cameraman, who said they didn`t think it had, and so he continued on to finish the hole and sign his scorecard for 72," European Tour`s Chief Referee John Paramor said in a statement.
Overnight several viewers contacted the European Tour website saying that the 31-year-old`s ball had in fact moved on the 18th hole.
"This was reviewed by the Rules Committee who were able to determine that the ball had in fact moved. Peter Whiteford should have incurred a penalty of one stroke and replaced the ball. As he did not do so, he was disqualified for signing for a score lower than taken for failing to include the penalty he had incurred," he explained.
"The Rules Committee considered the decision 33-7/4.5 which allows a committee in certain circumstances to modify the disqualification penalty and apply a penalty shot if the player had reasonably known he had incurred a penalty.
"If Peter Whiteford had contacted a member of the Rules Team before signing his scorecard, the footage would have been reviewed at the time and he would have averted the disqualification penalty," he added.
The USD 2.4 million event is tri-sanctioned by the European, Asian and the Professional Golf Tour of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr