Peter Whiteford disqualified from Avantha Masters
Gurgaon: Scottish golfer Peter Whiteford, who was overnight tied second at the tri-sanctioned Avantha Masters here, was on Sunday disqualified from the final round for moving the ball during the third round.
Whiteford, who was a stroke off the pace at 10-under 206, was disqualified after a review of yesterday`s recording which showed that his ball had moved on the 18th fairway at the DLF Golf and Country Club.
He should have incurred a stroke`s penalty and the ball would have been replaced had the incident come to light on Saturday.
"On the 18th fairway during the third round while playing his approach shot, Peter Whiteford felt that his ball may have moved and for confirmation asked his caddy, a fellow competitor and a TV cameraman, who said they didn`t think it had, and so he continued on to finish the hole and sign his scorecard for 72," European Tour`s Chief Referee John Paramor said in a statement.
Overnight several viewers contacted the European Tour website saying that the 31-year-old`s ball had in fact moved on the 18th hole.
"This was reviewed by the Rules Committee who were able to determine that the ball had in fact moved. Peter Whiteford should have incurred a penalty of one stroke and replaced the ball. As he did not do so, he was disqualified for signing for a score lower than taken for failing to include the penalty he had incurred," he explained.
"The Rules Committee considered the decision 33-7/4.5 which allows a committee in certain circumstances to modify the disqualification penalty and apply a penalty shot if the player had reasonably known he had incurred a penalty.
"If Peter Whiteford had contacted a member of the Rules Team before signing his scorecard, the footage would have been reviewed at the time and he would have averted the disqualification penalty," he added.
The USD 2.4 million event is tri-sanctioned by the European, Asian and the Professional Golf Tour of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM