Rashid wins Eastern India Amateur Golf title
Kolkata: Rashid Khan overcame a small stutter towards the end to win the LG Goodricke Eastern India Amateur Golf Championship, which marked his tenth title triumph on the LG Amateur Tour.
Playing against Rahul Bajaj, Rashid emerged victorious with a score of 3&1 in the 36-hole final that was played at the par-72 Royal Calcutta Golf Club.
"It feels really good to win my tenth tournament. This win is close to me because I had never won a matchplay tournament before this," said the Delhi lad after the win.
At the start of the summit clash, Bajaj held a slender advantage going into the second session 1Up after the first 18 holes. But that advantage was quickly nullified by Rashid with a birdie on the par-4 1st, the 19th hole of their tie.
By the time the players finished the front-nine of the course second time around, Rashid was 3Up and he won the next two holes to take a commanding lead?5Up?with just seven holes left to be played.
Just when it looked like the tie was about to draw to a close, Rashid lost four straight holes.
Another bogey for Rashid on the 15th, meant that the score read 1Up with three holes to play. But that was as far as the challenge went from Bajaj`s end.
He bogeyed the 16th and Rashid clinched the tie with a birdie on the next hole to seal his first matchplay win.
The putt also ensured his fifth straight win, and sixth in the 2009-10 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm