Rashid wins Eastern India Amateur Golf title
Kolkata: Rashid Khan overcame a small stutter towards the end to win the LG Goodricke Eastern India Amateur Golf Championship, which marked his tenth title triumph on the LG Amateur Tour.
Playing against Rahul Bajaj, Rashid emerged victorious with a score of 3&1 in the 36-hole final that was played at the par-72 Royal Calcutta Golf Club.
"It feels really good to win my tenth tournament. This win is close to me because I had never won a matchplay tournament before this," said the Delhi lad after the win.
At the start of the summit clash, Bajaj held a slender advantage going into the second session 1Up after the first 18 holes. But that advantage was quickly nullified by Rashid with a birdie on the par-4 1st, the 19th hole of their tie.
By the time the players finished the front-nine of the course second time around, Rashid was 3Up and he won the next two holes to take a commanding lead?5Up?with just seven holes left to be played.
Just when it looked like the tie was about to draw to a close, Rashid lost four straight holes.
Another bogey for Rashid on the 15th, meant that the score read 1Up with three holes to play. But that was as far as the challenge went from Bajaj`s end.
He bogeyed the 16th and Rashid clinched the tie with a birdie on the next hole to seal his first matchplay win.
The putt also ensured his fifth straight win, and sixth in the 2009-10 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!