Rashid wins Eastern India Amateur Golf title
Kolkata: Rashid Khan overcame a small stutter towards the end to win the LG Goodricke Eastern India Amateur Golf Championship, which marked his tenth title triumph on the LG Amateur Tour.
Playing against Rahul Bajaj, Rashid emerged victorious with a score of 3&1 in the 36-hole final that was played at the par-72 Royal Calcutta Golf Club.
"It feels really good to win my tenth tournament. This win is close to me because I had never won a matchplay tournament before this," said the Delhi lad after the win.
At the start of the summit clash, Bajaj held a slender advantage going into the second session 1Up after the first 18 holes. But that advantage was quickly nullified by Rashid with a birdie on the par-4 1st, the 19th hole of their tie.
By the time the players finished the front-nine of the course second time around, Rashid was 3Up and he won the next two holes to take a commanding lead?5Up?with just seven holes left to be played.
Just when it looked like the tie was about to draw to a close, Rashid lost four straight holes.
Another bogey for Rashid on the 15th, meant that the score read 1Up with three holes to play. But that was as far as the challenge went from Bajaj`s end.
He bogeyed the 16th and Rashid clinched the tie with a birdie on the next hole to seal his first matchplay win.
The putt also ensured his fifth straight win, and sixth in the 2009-10 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui