Sandhu falters on final day, finishes 18th at Cambodian Open
Siem Reap (Cambodia): Indian golfer Ajeetesh Sandhu faltered at the final hurdle when he threw away a great start to finish with a round of 74 at tied 18th in the inaugural Handa Faldo Cambodian Classic here on Saturday.
Sandhu, the lone Indian to make the cut at the USD 300,000 Asian Tour event, had a birdie-birdie start as he looked set to challenge the leaders. But then a double bogey on par-5 third hole spoiled his momentum.
The Indian who had played bogeyfree on second and third days, had just one more birdie, but three more bogeys and he and dropped from overnight fifth down the leaderboard.
American rookie David Lipsky produced a superb chip-in birdie to defeat a luckless Elmer Salvador of the Philippines in the first play-off hole and win the title.
The 23-year-old, who won the Asian Tour`s Qualifying School in January, enjoyed his maiden professional victory in front of six-time Major champion Nick Faldo, who watched the shootout at the impressive Angkor Golf Resort, a course he designed.
Starting the day seven shots off the lead, Lipsky closed with a stunning seven-under 65 for a 15-under 273 total. A gritty Salvador had a 10-foot birdie putt at the last hole in regulation play for the outright win but he missed for a 68.
It was a frenetic final day as there were six players tied for the lead at one stage before Lipsky and Salvador, who also lost in a play-off at last year`s ISPS Handa Singapore Classic, edged ahead of the pack.
Lipsky earned USD 47,550 and a priceless winner`s exemption on the Asian Tour till the end of 2014. The 42-year-old Salvador had a good look for an outright win but misjudged his putt at the 72nd hole.
Niall Turner (72) was disappointed as he finished third, one shot shy of the play-off after an even par 72. But he did earn a spot into the next Asian Tour stop at the Panasonic Open India in two weeks` time.
Finland`s Kalle Samooja enjoyed his best finish on Tour with a tied fourth placing with Thailand`s Chinnarat Phadungsil and Korea`s Baek Seuk-hyun on 275. He closed with a 65.
Overnight leader Kim Hyung-sung settled for joint seventh position after signing off with a disappointing 75.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi