Santos leads Africa Open after birdie blitz
Portugal`s Ricardo Santos set a sizzling Africa Open pace on Thursday with a nine-birdie first-round 62 at East London Golf Club.
Santos, 31, snatched four birdies on the front nine of the par-71 course in the Indian Ocean town and another five coming back.
He leads by two strokes from Denmark`s Lucas Bjerregaard, Britons Richard Bland and Rhys Davies and South African Garth Mulroy.
Frenchman Gregory Bourdy and Scot David Drysdale are among six competitors on 65 and title-holder Darren Fichardt from South Africa is in a large group who carded 66s in good conditions.
Superb tee-to-green play by Santos, who won the 2012 Madeira Islands Open in his homeland, set up the birdie blitz.
"I did not miss a fairway and put the ball very close to the pin," said the golfer who also enjoys snooker and horse racing.
"That is the key to success on this course," added the golfer lying 89th on the European Tour rankings this season having earned 46,000 euros ($63,000).
"Today was definitely one of the rounds of my career," Santos said, recalling a round that twice reaped three consecutive birdies.
"To shoot minus nine you have to play awesome golf so I`m really pleased with every piece of my game. I played solidly and gave myself a lot of birdie chances."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic