Smriti, Rhea tied 22nd after 1st round
La Manga: India`s Smriti Mehra and Rhea Nair were tied 22nd after the first round of the Ladies European Tour Pre-Qualifying School for the 2012 season.
Veteran Smriti and Dubai-based Rhea shot a two-over 75 on the par-73 South Course at the La Manga Golf Resort. They were six behind the leaders.
Sharmila, the only Indian playing her first round on the par-71 North Course, carded a creditable three-over 74 to be placed tied 29th and was seven shots behind the leader.
The other Indians in Group B at South Course, Neha Tripathi (81) and Nalini Singh Siwach (82) had a tough time at the demanding course.
The Pre-Qualifying have been split into Group A and B with top 35 and ties in both groups going through to the 90-hole Final Stage, where they will be a cut for leading 50 and ties after 72 holes.
After the final round the top 30 players will be eligible for Membership to the main LET Tour. All players play at both North and South courses.
Smriti, a former LPGA player, had a bogey on the first and then after a steady streak of pars, she birdied the eighth. But a bogey on the ninth and a double bogey on 11th set her back. She got back one shot on the 15th to end at two-over.
Rhea had four birdies and four bogeys and a double bogey on par-5 12th.
Sharmila bogeyed the first, but birdied the second. Then she had eight pars, before back-to-back bogeys spoilt her card. She birdied the 14th, but bogeys on 14th and 16th saw her finish the day at 74.
The leader on South Course were Chrisje de Vries of the Netherlands and England?s Anna Scott who brought in opening rounds of four under par 69, while the leader on North Course was Valentine Derrey of France, who shot four-under 67.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event