We will take golf to new venues this year: Sandhu
New Delhi:Indian golf will cover new grounds across the length and breadth of the country in one of the strongest season this year, said PGTI Director, Padamjit Sandhu on Monday.
"This domestic season will be stronger than earlier. We have the PGTI Super series event which comprises on seven events with a bonus prize of R 30 lakhs," Sandhu said on the sidelines of the launch of SAIL-SBI golf tournament, which will begin the new Asian Tour season.
"We will take golf to new venues this year. There are four to five new places where golf tournaments will be held this year. Places such as Cochin, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Shillong are some of the locations were we are planning to host golf events.
"We have to ensure that golf course are at par with what is required and also we are having them in weeks when the Indian golfers are free from their Asian tour commitments. This is to ensure that they can play and spread the word. It is important for golf tourism."
The USD 300,000 SAIL-SBI Open will get underway with the Pro-Am event tomorrow at the prestigious Delhi Golf club, which will witness a strong field featuring five players from the top-10 of last year`s Order of Merit, including two-time defending champion Anirban Lahiri.
Anand Kumar, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, said: "The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has committed itself to the development of sport in India. We support the growth of golf and golf tourism through active involvement under `Incredible India` banner.
The staging of international tournaments such as the SAIL-SBI Open, help us promote India as an international golfing destination."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read