We will take golf to new venues this year: Sandhu
New Delhi:Indian golf will cover new grounds across the length and breadth of the country in one of the strongest season this year, said PGTI Director, Padamjit Sandhu on Monday.
"This domestic season will be stronger than earlier. We have the PGTI Super series event which comprises on seven events with a bonus prize of R 30 lakhs," Sandhu said on the sidelines of the launch of SAIL-SBI golf tournament, which will begin the new Asian Tour season.
"We will take golf to new venues this year. There are four to five new places where golf tournaments will be held this year. Places such as Cochin, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Shillong are some of the locations were we are planning to host golf events.
"We have to ensure that golf course are at par with what is required and also we are having them in weeks when the Indian golfers are free from their Asian tour commitments. This is to ensure that they can play and spread the word. It is important for golf tourism."
The USD 300,000 SAIL-SBI Open will get underway with the Pro-Am event tomorrow at the prestigious Delhi Golf club, which will witness a strong field featuring five players from the top-10 of last year`s Order of Merit, including two-time defending champion Anirban Lahiri.
Anand Kumar, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, said: "The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has committed itself to the development of sport in India. We support the growth of golf and golf tourism through active involvement under `Incredible India` banner.
The staging of international tournaments such as the SAIL-SBI Open, help us promote India as an international golfing destination."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street