Zeenews logo
        English
Follwo us on: Facebook Follwo us on: Twiter RSS Mail to us
Thursday, August 07, 2014
Search
Follwo us on: Facebook Follwo us on: Twiter RSS Mail to us Mail to us Mail to us
  • Gymnastics Artistic
  • Wrestling
  • Weightlifting
  • Volleyball
  • Rowing

Last Updated: Sunday, August 05, 2012, 08:23
   Comments 13

London Olympics Boxing: It`s cheating, says livid Manoj after controversial exitLondon: Indian boxer Manoj Kumar (64kg) cried "cheating" as he made a controversial exit from the Olympics, losing a thrilling pre-quarterfinal bout to home favourite Thomas Stalker at the ExCel Arena here.

The 26-year-old Manoj fought well but appeared to be distinctly unlucky not to get points as the British boxer managed a 20-16 victory last night to move into the quarterfinals.

"It doesn`t look fair because he was going in one direction and the scores 7-4 and 9-4 to him don`t justify that," the dejected Commonwealth Games gold-medallist said after the loss.

"It doesn`t look like an Olympic Games but more like a district competition because if it`s Great Britain in the ring it doesn`t matter who`s against them. It`s like a district competition where there`s lots of cheating, cheating, cheating," he added.

Stalker won the first round 7-4 and maintained his lead by winning the second round 9-5. The Indian then launched an all out attack in the third and last round which he claimed 7-4 but some debatable judging ultimately saw him leave the arena disappointed.

The Indian camp understandably was furious with the decision and strongly felt that Manoj was at the receiving end of some dubious point calls.

India`s Cuban coach Blas Iglesias Fernandez said Manoj should have won the other two rounds as well as he fought in the same manner.

"The last round was 7-4 (to Kumar). Why no other rounds? All rounds were the same. It was very poor judging," he said.

On whether his boxer was "robbed", Fernandez said "I think so."

National coach Gurbaksh Singh Sandhu said "My athlete was extraordinary. You saw for yourself what happened. Why don`t you write what you want?"

Stalker, on the other hand, said he was happy with the result but felt he did not box as well as he could.

"All I wanted to do was fight. In my next bout I know I will do better. I felt sluggish after the first round. Being in my hotel for the last week hasn`t done me any good," Stalker said.

"I just wanted to get the first fight out of the way. The fans got me through it. Being an Olympian is special. It was a tough fight and I felt I didn`t really box too well but a win is a win," he said.

"I felt like I needed to move my feet a bit more. The last round was not good. I think I went a bit more negative in the last round when I could have been more positive."

On his opponent questioning the judges` decision, he said "I have had fights when I thought I had won by more than I eventually won by. I just leave it to the judges. I would like to thank everyone who supported me."

The Indians have been at the wrong side of judges at the ongoing Games, losing a protest filed against Sumit Sangwan`s (81kg) first-round exit. Later, Vikas Krishan (69kg) was ousted despite being declared a winner initially after his American opponent won an appeal against his triumph.

PTI

First Published: Sunday, August 05, 2012, 08:23

Comments

govind - Delhi
completely injustice. I saw the fights

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

ricky - England
everyone knows cheating has been going on & the indian boxers have been the clear winners AIBA have been totally disgrace as i`ve watched boxing & i know the Indians are the real winners

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

ricky - England
I have watched boxing for years & i can honestly say the cheating has happened to a mass scale & its about time action is taken surely cheating like this should not be tolerated this has been completely not fair on the Indian boxers hopefully people open thier eyes & the Indian boxers get justice to whats happen.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

christy - kerala
this is the worse olympics ever had in the history of olympics.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

seetaram - ranchi
Well done our boxing contingent we are proud of you for showing world that there no dearth of talent in each and every field

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Ankur - Bangalore
Every boxing match is controversial and not in favour of india, well I saw the fights, it seems that they are really doing cheating, Manoj Kumar really fought well, he should have won the match, but the results u know. This is bad really bad, indian olympic sports committee, please object on this issue, why always indians have to face all this.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

soumik - kolkata
As I told earlier,India should withdraw all its contestant from Olympic and return the already owned medals

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

soumik - kolkata

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

niki - toronto, canada
british throughout history make rules & then break them both to their advantage

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Abbas - Hyderabad
This is completely injustice, our all 3 boxers fought extraordinary against their opponents respectively..to startup with sangwan I could not believe he lost , the way he was punching the brazil boxer should have fetched him a win.., then if sangwan appeal was rejected, how come vikas was robbed of his victory by appeal of americans even after he was declared winner by judges, thats complete injustice! And manoj is a clear winner by what i saw on my tv and my knowledge of scoring systems. Overall boxers are ruined what could have lead to be history if all boxers would have qualified and win medals for India. Well played Indian boxers you are real winners...!

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Pages: 1 2

Post your Comments

Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Most liked Comments

Other News

India at Olympics
London Olympics 2012 Hockey: Past players dismayed at India’s Olympic debacle
London Olympics 2012 Hockey: Past players dismayed at India’s Olympic debacle
India's medal hopefuls
Usain Bolt »
Bolt’s rise to fame was as quick as his 100m race
View Slideshow »
Great Olympians
  VIDEOS
FIFA World Cup 2014: Baichung Bhutia discusses changing world of football -Part 2

FIFA World Cup 2014: Baichung Bhutia discusses changing world of football

India tea strikes `gold` at London Olympics Village
India tea strikes `gold` at London Olympics Village
More Soft News »
Olympics Controversies
Outrage over sexualized footage of female athletes
Outrage over sexualized footage of female athletes
US TV network NBC has released a controversial video called Bodi ...

Olympics records