Australia shifts world leg from troubled venue
Sydney:The Australian leg of the FIA Rally World Championship will be moved from Northern Rivers where angry protesters caused havoc during the 2009 event, race officials said on Wednesday.
Protesters who had campaigned unsuccessfully to have the leg scrapped over environmental concerns pelted rocks at drivers last year and forced the cancellation of two stages.
The event will be shifted a few hundred km south to the eastern coastal resort of Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport said in a statement.
"The area, with its myriad of well maintained gravel forestry and shire roads, is regarded as having some of the best rally stages in Australia," the statement said.
The new venue had already been signed off by the FIA world rally commission and a date would be set soon, it added.
"This is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for the Coffs Harbour region," said city council mayor Keith Rhoades.
"From an economic perspective, we would see around A$15 million ($14.52 million) directly injected into the local economy through this one event alone."
Prior to its one-year stint at Northern Rivers, Rally Australia was hosted at a venue south of Perth from 1989 to 2006 but was scrapped due to financial reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi