Dario Franchitti injured in flying wreck
Houston: Four-time IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti was rushed to hospital after a frightening crash during the final lap of the Houston Grand Prix on Sunday.
Franchitti`s car went airborne and slammed into the safety fencing before coming to a halt in the middle of the street circuit track.
The Scotsman was stretchered off the track and taken by ambulance to the nearby Houston hospital.
Race officials said Franchitti was "awake and alert" but did not go into details on his injuries.
His team owner Chip Ganassi said Franchitti injured his ankle and back.
"He`s talking," said Ganassi who rushed to the crash scene on a scooter. "His ankle is a little sore, his back is a little sore. He is going to be OK."
The three-car smash happened in one of the sharp turns and also involved Japan`s Takuma Sato and E.J. Viso of Venezuela but they were both able to exit their cars and walk away.
Debris from the crash also flew over the top of the safety fencing, injury some spectators.
Race officials did not immediately provide details of those injuries.
The race was won by Australia`s Will Power.
"Everybody hopes Dario is OK," said New Zealand driver Scott Dixon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past