Duclos wins on tragedy-hit Dakar
Salta, Argentina: French rider Alain Duclos won his first Dakar Rally stage for eight years Friday, but the gruelling event was overshadowed by the deaths of a competitor, a father of five, and two journalists.
Dulcos, riding a Sherco, beat overall motorcycling section leader Marc Coma by 75 seconds after a 400km timed run from Tucuman to Salta.
However, his celebrations were muted after it was revealed that the 9,374km race, which crosses Argentina, Chile and Bolivia, had claimed three more lives.
Belgian motorcyclist Eric Palante, 50, riding for the Honda team, died on Thursday`s fifth stage between Chilecito and Tucuman.
Dakar organisers ASO issued a statement reporting that a support truck had discovered the father of five`s lifeless body at 0830 local time Friday.
"No alert was received by the organisers. Eric had been replenished with water during the afternoon," the statement said.
Palante is the 23rd competitor in 36 editions to die in the Dakar Rally.
Meanwhile, two members of an Argentine news team also died Thursday when the car they were driving in fell into a ravine, the Super Rally magazine said.
"The dead are journalism student Agustin Mina, 20, and Daniel Ambrosio, 51, who loved auto racing," magazine manager Francisco Delgado told a leading agency.
Duclos`s last win on the Dakar came in Bamako in Mali eight years ago when the event was still staged in Africa.
"Today, it was my type of terrain. We`ve got over the worst over the last few days and the rest day has arrived at the right time -- it couldn`t be better timed," he said.
Duclos is third overall after six stages, over an hour behind former three-time champion Coma on a KTM.
Joan Barreda, on a Honda, was fourth Friday but is second in the overall standings, 42mn 17sec behind fellow Spaniard Coma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'