Duclos wins on tragedy-hit Dakar
Salta, Argentina: French rider Alain Duclos won his first Dakar Rally stage for eight years Friday, but the gruelling event was overshadowed by the deaths of a competitor, a father of five, and two journalists.
Dulcos, riding a Sherco, beat overall motorcycling section leader Marc Coma by 75 seconds after a 400km timed run from Tucuman to Salta.
However, his celebrations were muted after it was revealed that the 9,374km race, which crosses Argentina, Chile and Bolivia, had claimed three more lives.
Belgian motorcyclist Eric Palante, 50, riding for the Honda team, died on Thursday`s fifth stage between Chilecito and Tucuman.
Dakar organisers ASO issued a statement reporting that a support truck had discovered the father of five`s lifeless body at 0830 local time Friday.
"No alert was received by the organisers. Eric had been replenished with water during the afternoon," the statement said.
Palante is the 23rd competitor in 36 editions to die in the Dakar Rally.
Meanwhile, two members of an Argentine news team also died Thursday when the car they were driving in fell into a ravine, the Super Rally magazine said.
"The dead are journalism student Agustin Mina, 20, and Daniel Ambrosio, 51, who loved auto racing," magazine manager Francisco Delgado told a leading agency.
Duclos`s last win on the Dakar came in Bamako in Mali eight years ago when the event was still staged in Africa.
"Today, it was my type of terrain. We`ve got over the worst over the last few days and the rest day has arrived at the right time -- it couldn`t be better timed," he said.
Duclos is third overall after six stages, over an hour behind former three-time champion Coma on a KTM.
Joan Barreda, on a Honda, was fourth Friday but is second in the overall standings, 42mn 17sec behind fellow Spaniard Coma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested