India round of World Superbike Championship cancelled

Last Updated: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:29

New Delhi: The inaugural India round of the World Superbike Championship (WSBK) has been cancelled owing to "operational challenges", the international motorcycling federation FIM said.

The Nov 17 event at the Jaypee group-owned Buddh International Circuit (BIC) was supposed to be the season finale of the high profile two-wheeler racing series.

"Owing to operational challenges, Jaypee Sports International (JPSI) and Dorna World Superbike Organisation (DWO) have decided to cancel the 2013 WSBK Indian round that was scheduled at BIC Nov 17," FIM, the governing body of motorcycle racing confirmed on Thursday.

The championship will now conclude at Jerez in Spain Oct 20.

The India round was initially shifted to November from March citing lack of time for training of marshals and medical staff. The race has now been taken off the calendar indefinitely.

"JPSI and the Indian Motorsports Marshals Club (IMMC) are working intensely together to make the Indian round as safe as possible in preparation for 2015," FIM added.

Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) president Vicky Chandhok is hopeful that WSBK will make its India debut in the future.

"JPSI confirms its interest in going ahead with the race in the future," said Chandhok.

"We look forward to them concluding an arrangement with series promoters DWO in order to arrive at a mutually convenient date and to ensure that India has the privilege of hosting a round in the near future."

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone had said last month that there will be no Indian Grand Prix in 2014.

IANS



First Published: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:29

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus