India round of World Superbike Championship cancelled
New Delhi: The inaugural India round of the World Superbike Championship (WSBK) has been cancelled owing to "operational challenges", the international motorcycling federation FIM said.
The Nov 17 event at the Jaypee group-owned Buddh International Circuit (BIC) was supposed to be the season finale of the high profile two-wheeler racing series.
"Owing to operational challenges, Jaypee Sports International (JPSI) and Dorna World Superbike Organisation (DWO) have decided to cancel the 2013 WSBK Indian round that was scheduled at BIC Nov 17," FIM, the governing body of motorcycle racing confirmed on Thursday.
The championship will now conclude at Jerez in Spain Oct 20.
The India round was initially shifted to November from March citing lack of time for training of marshals and medical staff. The race has now been taken off the calendar indefinitely.
"JPSI and the Indian Motorsports Marshals Club (IMMC) are working intensely together to make the Indian round as safe as possible in preparation for 2015," FIM added.
Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) president Vicky Chandhok is hopeful that WSBK will make its India debut in the future.
"JPSI confirms its interest in going ahead with the race in the future," said Chandhok.
"We look forward to them concluding an arrangement with series promoters DWO in order to arrive at a mutually convenient date and to ensure that India has the privilege of hosting a round in the near future."
Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone had said last month that there will be no Indian Grand Prix in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list