Indy to host MotoGP event to 2014
Indianapolis (Indiana): Indianapolis will continue to host a MotoGP event from 2012 through 2014 after an agreement announced on Sunday between the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and MotoGP officials.
The site of the famed IndyCar oval race has hosted MotoGP races every year starting in 2008 after a split with Formula One, which staged US Grand Prix races at Indy from 2000 through 2007, five of them won by Michael Schumacher.
Speedway and MotoGP officials announced the fifth annual Indianapolis MotoGP Grand Prix would be staged August 17-19, 2012.
Australia`s Casey Stoner, the MotoGP season points leader, won this year`s event last weekend.
"We’re happy to welcome back the exciting action and colorful, daring riders of MotoGP," Speedway president Jeff Belskus said.
"This event brings a unique international flavor and style of racing to the Speedway that has become a solid, new tradition on our annual schedule. We’re excited about the event’s potential for continued growth into the future."
American rider Ben Spies, last year`s MotoGP Rookie of the Year, is excited that the Indy race will continue. He sat on the pole in last year`s race.
"There’s nothing more special than coming to a home race and putting it all on the line in front of your fans," Spies said. "There is so much history at the Brickyard. It`s a pleasure to be a part of it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Fundamental question is 'who took the bribe', stresses Manohar Parrikar
- Kanhaiya Kumar is in Patna - know why
- WATCH: RPS vs GL - When Dwayne Bravo tried to 'intimidate' Mahendra Singh Dhoni during Match 25
- Fourteen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse