Moss in hospital after falling down lift
London: British motor racing great Stirling Moss is recovering in hospital after plunging three stories down a lift shaft at his home and breaking both ankles.
A family statement on his website said that Moss, who celebrated his 80th birthday last September, suffered the accident on Saturday and underwent surgery the next day.
Moss, widely known as the greatest driver never to win the Formula One championship, opened a lift door on the third floor of his house in central London and stepped forwards but due to a malfunction the lift had stopped on the floor above.
He also broke four bones in his feet, suffered four chipped vertebrae and skin abrasions but remained conscious throughout. He was expected to take six weeks to recover.
"The family are very relieved that Stirling survived the fall, demonstrating that his body still has the same resilience to injury as it did in his racing days," the statement said.
"He is comfortable, following a good night`s rest post surgery, and is well on the road to recovery."
The driver`s wife Susie was quoted earlier by a friend as saying Moss was in good spirits and already complaining about the size and quality of the hospital breakfast.
Moss was a contemporary of the late Argentine world champion Juan Manuel Fangio.
The Briton lost the 1958 title by a single point to compatriot Mike Hawthorn, his country`s first champion, despite winning four races to his rival`s sole victory.
Winner of 16 grands prix, Moss finished overall runner-up on three more occasions and retired after a career-ending 1962 crash at Goodwood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015