Son of Formula One idol unharmed after crash
Rio de Janeiro: Geraldo Piquet, the eldest son of three-time Formula One world champion Nelson Piquet, walked away unharmed after his race truck flipped and exploded in a fireball.
The 34-year-old was competing in the fourth round of Brazil`s Formula Truck championship at the Ayrton Senna racetrack in the city of Goiania.
Piquet admitted he was fortunate not to be seriously injured in the accident, which left his vehicle a smouldering heap of twisted metal, reported Xinhua.
"It all happened so fast but I kept calm," Piquet said. "I knew everything would be Ok. But now I`m not sure what will happen in the next race because we`re going to have to put together a whole new truck."
Nelson Piquet won the Formula One world championship in 1981, 1983 and 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror