Volkswagen claims maiden victory in Rally Sweden
Karlstad (Sweden): Sebastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia won the Rally Sweden at the wheel of the Volkswagen Polo R WRC in the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC).
In only its second competitive outing Feb 7-10, the 315-hp World Rally Car from the Wolfsburg-based firm emerged triumphant on the Scandinavian ice and snow against strong opposition - including nine-time World Champion Sebastien Loeb (Citroën).
Eleven best times from 22 special stages - Ogier and Ingrassia led the overall standings right from the word go and refused to be shifted from the top spot until they reached the finish Sunday afternoon.
Ogier set the foundation for the success in qualification Thursday when he clocked the fastest time to finish seven places ahead of the multiple World Champion Loeb. Loeb eventually ended the rally 41.8 seconds behind his fellow Frenchman Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila finished fourth in the second Polo R WRC to complete an outstanding team result for WRC debutant`s Volkswagen.
Ogier`s win here will take a special place in the history of the WRC. Ogier`s eighth success is only the second by a central European at the Rally Sweden since 1950. Until now, the event had been won almost exclusively by Nordic drivers. Ogier joins Loeb as only the second winner of Sweden to come from outside of Sweden, Norway and Finland. Loeb was the first to break the Nordic countries` stranglehold in 2004.
The Rally Sweden is the only rally held exclusively on ice and snow. The teams use special Michelin Sweden studs and the winter specs for the World Rally Cars.
Ogier now leads the Drivers` Championship, three points ahead of Loeb. The next WRC round will take place from March 7-10 in Mexico, with the rally centred around Leon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in