A tearful Ricky Hatton meets Muhammad Ali
Manchester: Ricky Hatton welcomed Muhammad Ali to his gym Wednesday and said that not even a meeting with The Greatest could persuade him to get back in the ring again.
Hatton, the former world light welterweight champion, hasn’t fought since a second-round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao in May and is now a promoter.
The 30-year-old Briton, known for his aggressive, body-punching style, said he was reduced to tears when meeting 67-year-old Ali, who has Parkinson’s disease and makes rare public appearances.
“He’s not just one of the greatest boxers of all time, he’s one of the greatest men of all time. He’s made the entertainment side of boxing what it is today,” Hatton said.
“Bearing in mind how poorly he is, for him still to come to the gym, raise his hands to the fans and have a picture, that’s why he’s the greatest.”
Joined by wife Lonnie, Ali is touring Britain and Ireland. He is making appearances at a series of dinners to raise money for his charities, including the Muhammad Ali Center in his hometown of Louisville, Ky.
Hatton has only two losses in a 47-fight career. He said he is no closer to deciding whether to fight again.
“I’ve had a lot of fights and sometimes, when you’ve been in this game as long as I have, running in the morning, training in the afternoon, dieting, I’ve reached the stage that I’ve had enough now, I want a bit of a rest,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections