Abhijeet beats Vorobiov in Kavala International Open Chess
Kavala: Grandmaster Abhijeet Gupta outclassed Evgeny Boroviov of Russia to become joint second after the seventh round of the Kavala International Open Chess tournament here.
Abhijeet won his fourth game with white pieces in an exemplary fashion, giving no chance to his higher rated opponent. The victory helped the Indian to inch closer to the 2600 ELO rating barrier that he hopes to breach in this event.
Abhijeet played a gem against Vorobiov and it was certainly one of the best games of the day. Up against King’s Indian defence, Abhijeet employed the Samisch variation and squeezed out black’s defences on the queen side.
Vorobiov had not even lost a pawn but his position was beyond repair in the middle game itself. Abhijeet knocked down the queen side pawns in style before cruising home.
Meanwhile, Adam Tukhaev of Ukraine shot in to sole lead with his fourth straight victory against former world junior champion Zaven Andriasian of Armenia, who was grinded despite playing with white pieces.
Tukhaev moved to six points out of a possible seven with a splendid rating performance of over 2850. The Ukrainian is now followed by Nidjat Mamedov of Azerbaijan, Andrey Rychagov of Russia, Abhijeet and another Indian GM Tejas Bakre.
In the seventh round, Bakre again played it safe and drew with Rychagov.
Former world junior girls’ champion D Harika’s quest for her second Grandmaster norm got a major boost when she beat Grandmaster Vladislav Nevednichy of Romania.
Playing white, Harika won a pawn and converted to a rook and pawns endgame where her technique was perfect. Ratings of her opponents permitting, the Andhra-based should now need one point from the last two rounds to get her second GM norm.
Vishnu Prasanna, however, faltered against GM Davit Jojua of Georgia and will now be gunning for an International Master norm only which seems like a near certainty given the high average rating that he currently has.
Among other Indians in the fray, Tania Sachdev played out a draw with Grandmaster Nikolov Momchil of Bulgaria while M Shyam Sundar also held GM Suat Atalik to a draw.
GM Deepan Chakkravarthy, Sahaj Grover, Prasanna Rao and Karma Pandya won their respective games while last year’s world junior girls’ champion Soumya Swaminathan went down to Bulgarian Ivajlo Enchev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’