Air India, Andhra lifts junior inter-state badminton titles
Chandigarh: Air India and Andhra Pradesh registered contrasting victories to lift the boys` and girls` team titles, respectively, in the 38th Inter State-Inter Zonal Badminton Championships here Saturday.
While Air India had to come from behind to beat Kerala 2-1 to lift the Narang Cup, Andhra Pradesh blanked Air India girls 2-0 to carve their name on the Shafi Qureshi Cup.
In the boys` final, Air India were dealt with an early blow when Aditya Joshi was upset by Arun George 21-23, 21-15, 21-11.
But Shlok Ramchandran and Sanyam Shukla restored parity with a 21-10, 21-17 win over Arun and Shyam Prasad before Harsheel Dani clinched the tie beating Shyam Prasad 21-12, 21-14.
In the girls` final, the quality of G. Ruthvika Shivani and Rituparna Das proved too much to handle for the Air India girls.
Narang Cup (Boys): Air India bt Kerala 2-1 (Aditya Joshi lost to Arun George 21-23, 21-15, 21-11; Shlok Ramchandran/Sanyam Shukla bt Shyam Prasad/Arun George 21-10, 21-17; Harsheel Dani bt Shyam Prasad 21-12, 21-14).
Shafi Qureshi Cup (Girls): Andhra Pradesh bt Air India 2-0 (Ruthvika Shivani bt Reshma Karthik 21-9, 21-15; J. Meghana/Rituparna Das bt Reshma Karthik/V. Harika 21-7, 21-14).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts
- Mehbooba Mufti hints no separate colonies for Kashmiri Pandits in J&K
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
- Iran`s supreme leader Khamenei warns of Western 'schemes' as new MPs meet