All India Inter-varsity hockey in Mumbai
Mumbai: Mumbai Univerisity`s MMK College of
Commerce and Economics will host the All India Inter-varsity
men`s hockey tournament from January 10-16, 2011 and would be
preceded by the West Zone event to spot four qualifiers.
Four qualifiers from each of the four geographical zones
of the country would take part in the knock-out-cum-league all
India tournament, it was announced at a media conference.
From the West, 32 varsities from the states of
Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Goa and parts of Madhya
Pradesh from January 3-9 would compete to make the all India
Matches would be held at four venues in Mumbai, three of
them on natural grass plus the artificial turf at the Mumbai
Hockey Association`s Mahindra Stadium, it was announced.
MMK College principal Dr A C Vanjani said that the
budgeted expenditure for the two tournaments is Rs 20 lakh
with Rs 51,000 earmarked in prize money.
Mumbai Varsity`s Director of Physical Education, Dr U N
Kendre, said that efforts were on to hold most of the matches
of the all India event on the Mahindra Stadium`s synthetic
"This is the first time in its history that Mumbai
University is playing host to the All India inter varsity
hockey tournament. We would make efforts to hold the women`s
tournament too in the near future," he said.
From South Zone, Madras University, Annamalai
University, SRAM and Bharitiyar Univerisity have already
qualified for the inter zonals, he said adding the north and
east zonals are currently on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'