Anand beats Radjabov; joint third now
Sor Hidle: World champion Viswanathan Anand outclassed Teimour Radjabov of Azerbaijan to jump to joint third spot after the seventh round of Norway chess 2013 super tournament, here.
It turned out to be a good day in office for Anand as he won an important game with black pieces adding to the woes of Radjabov whose slide in the world ranking continued.
The full point also took Anand to four points out of a possible seven.
Karjakin accounted for Hikaru Nakamura showing great signs of recovery after losing to Carlsen in the fifth and salvaging a half point against Anand in the sixth round.
World number one Magnus Carlsen of Norway scored a lucky victory against compatriot Jon Ludvig Hammer while in the other two games Levon Aronian of Armenia played out a draw with Chinese Wang Hao and Russian Peter Svidler signed peace with former world champion Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria.
Karjakin stayed ahead with 5.5 points and Carlsen remained on his toes a half point behind. Aronian shares the third spot along with Anand on four points while Svidler and Nakamura have 3.5 points each for the shared fifth place.
Topalov is next in standings on three points, a half point clear of Wnag Hao and Nakamura while Hammer remained on the bottom having 1.5 points from his seven games.
The Catalan opening holds a solid reputation as white but Radjabov was on the receiving end after some reckless play in the middle game.
Anand capitalised on his queen side pawn majority and an open file in the center to exert pressure and Radjabov’s position crumbled in quick time. The world champion ended the game with a tactical finesse winning material.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi