Anand begins game with 40 match wizards amid controversy
Hyderabad: Unfazed by the controversy surrounding his nationality, world champion Vishwanathan Anand began his simultaneous chess game against 40 math wizards at the ongoing International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM).
According to organisers, Anand, who is a special guest at the ICM, will simultaenouly take on 40 mathematicians from across the globe in a game of chess.
Anand is embroiled in a controversy over his citizenship after the University of Hyderabad had delayed its plan to confer an honorary doctorate on him following questions raised by the Union Human Resourses Development Ministry over the chess wizard`s nationality.
Although he holds an Indian passport, the HRD Ministry raised questions on Anand`s nationality because he lives in Spain.
Upset with the HRD`s ministry`s view on his nationality, Anand today declined to accept the honour at least for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India