Anand begins game with 40 match wizards amid controversy
Hyderabad: Unfazed by the controversy surrounding his nationality, world champion Vishwanathan Anand began his simultaneous chess game against 40 math wizards at the ongoing International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM).
According to organisers, Anand, who is a special guest at the ICM, will simultaenouly take on 40 mathematicians from across the globe in a game of chess.
Anand is embroiled in a controversy over his citizenship after the University of Hyderabad had delayed its plan to confer an honorary doctorate on him following questions raised by the Union Human Resourses Development Ministry over the chess wizard`s nationality.
Although he holds an Indian passport, the HRD Ministry raised questions on Anand`s nationality because he lives in Spain.
Upset with the HRD`s ministry`s view on his nationality, Anand today declined to accept the honour at least for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand