Anand begins game with 40 match wizards amid controversy
Hyderabad: Unfazed by the controversy surrounding his nationality, world champion Vishwanathan Anand began his simultaneous chess game against 40 math wizards at the ongoing International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM).
According to organisers, Anand, who is a special guest at the ICM, will simultaenouly take on 40 mathematicians from across the globe in a game of chess.
Anand is embroiled in a controversy over his citizenship after the University of Hyderabad had delayed its plan to confer an honorary doctorate on him following questions raised by the Union Human Resourses Development Ministry over the chess wizard`s nationality.
Although he holds an Indian passport, the HRD Ministry raised questions on Anand`s nationality because he lives in Spain.
Upset with the HRD`s ministry`s view on his nationality, Anand today declined to accept the honour at least for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'