Badminton World Federation: Chong Wei, Xuerui win Superseries finals
Kuala Lumpur: World No.1 singles Lee Chong Wei and Li Xuerui were crowned at the BWF (Badminton World Federation) World Superseries Finals in the men`s and women`s categories after their comprehensive victories here Sunday.
Lee delivered a quick defeat to Indonesian Tommy Sugiarto 21-10 21-12, winning his seventh Superseries title this year, reports Xinhua.
"I am very happy because I have never won seven titles (in a year) before," Lee said. "It would boost my spirit for the games next year."
In women`s singles, Chinese Taipei`s Tai Tzu Ying, who made to the finals in a grilling semi-final late Saturday, couldn`t stop China`s Li Xuerui from retaining the champion.
Li sealed the match 21-8 21-14, winning the only gold for China. She told a post-game press conference that she was able to keep up her form through the tournament.
Danish player Christinna Pedersen gave China a double blow Sunday as She and Kamilla Rytter Juhl beat Ma Jin/Tang Jinhua 21- 19 21-12 in Women`s doubles, before successfully defended the mixed doubles champion against Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei with Joachim Fischer Nielsen.
In men`s doubles, World No. 1 Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan from Indonesia won the title by defeating South Korean pair Kim Ki Jung/Kim Sa Rang 21-14 21-16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply