Baseball can become a major sport in India, feels Larkin
New Delhi: Major League Baseball (MLS) star Barry Larkin feels that baseball can become a popular sport in India if players are provided with the right information about the game.
"I see lot of good players here. They have the skill and athleticism to grow big in this sport, but these players need to be guided. Information about the sport is very important," said Larkin.
Larkin, who is on his maiden India trip along with Olympian softballer Natasha Watley to encourage paticipation of Indian youths in these two sports, feels providing correct knowledge is a challenge.
The American Embassy as part of its Sports Envoy programmme organised a coaching clinic for young sports enthusiasts in Imphal, followed a two-day camp at the national capital which started today.
Impressed with the technique of the players, Larkin feels more such camps should be organised in future.
"I was amazed to see the sheer athleticism of the sportspersons in Imphal. But, in Delhi it`s more of technique. Their hand-eye coordination is very good," he said.
The duo also visited the Taj Mahal during their maiden trip to the country.
"We went to see the Taj Mahal. It`s beautiful. Never saw such a thing before," Natasha, who was part of America`s silver-medal wining softball team in Beijing Olympics, said.
She feels there is great potential to develop softball in India as there are lot of players who are keen to pursue the sport as their career.
"I see lot of potential here. Softball can be popularised here if good coaches are involved in grooming players," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family