Boston Marathon: 10 things you should know
Zee Media Bureau
Boston was rocked by twin explosions on April 15, 2013, as runners crossed the finish line during its famous annual marathon, killing three and injuring several others.
Following is a list of facts that you probably didn’t know about the Boston Marathon:
• It is the world’s oldest marathon that began in 1897 and is organised by the Boston Athletic Association.
• The race is organised on the third Monday of April to commemorate the earliest battles of American independence.
• The course of the race runs through Hopkinton, Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Newton, Brookline, and Boston.
• Women weren’t allowed to participate in the event until 1972.
• Clarence Harrison DeMar has won the marathon seven times – the last of which he won in 1930 at the age of 41.
• Tim Ford, the winner of the marathon in 1906, is the youngest ever winner at 18 years of age.
• Rosie Ruiz raised a storm by winning the marathon in the female category in 1980. It was later found that the American cheated her way to win and in fact hadn’t run the entire course.
• Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya ran the fastest marathon in the history of the race in a time of 2 hours 3 minutes 2 seconds at Boston in 2011. However, IAAF hasn’t recognised the record since the event doesn’t meet its standards that are required for the record to be ratified.
• Before the blasts of 2013, only two deaths were recorded at the event – in 1996 and 2002.
• Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia won the 2013 marathon in the male category while Kenyan Rita Jeptoo was the winner in the women’s section.
• Over the years, the winners have been awarded with $15 million in prize money and course-record bonuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview