Bulgarian wrestler to return 1996 Olympic gold medal as protest
Sofia (Bulgaria): A former Olympic gold medallist from Bulgaria has said he`s going to return his medal to protest the International Olympic Committee`s (IOC) decision to drop wrestling from the Olympic programme.
Valentin Yordanov, a seven-time world championships title holder, won the 52-kilogram freestyle category at the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996, reports Xinhua.
The 53-year-old Wednesday said the combined efforts of all national federations would help bring wrestling back in the Olympics.
Wrestling has been the most successful Olympic sport in Bulgaria which has won 16 Olympic titles in previous editions of the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata