Bulgarian wrestler to return 1996 Olympic gold medal as protest
Sofia (Bulgaria): A former Olympic gold medallist from Bulgaria has said he`s going to return his medal to protest the International Olympic Committee`s (IOC) decision to drop wrestling from the Olympic programme.
Valentin Yordanov, a seven-time world championships title holder, won the 52-kilogram freestyle category at the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996, reports Xinhua.
The 53-year-old Wednesday said the combined efforts of all national federations would help bring wrestling back in the Olympics.
Wrestling has been the most successful Olympic sport in Bulgaria which has won 16 Olympic titles in previous editions of the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming