Can Saina end a disappointing year on a high note?
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Saina Nehwal defeated Tine Baun of Denmark on Saturday to become the first Indian singles player to reach the summit clash of BWF Super Series Finals. She will now face China’s world no. 1 Yihan Wang in the summit clash on Sunday.
Saina left behind a lean patch with a stunning win over Chinese Wang Xin on Friday that was followed with a straight-set victory over Denmark’s world no. 5 and two times All England champion, Tine Baun in the semifinals.
She will clash with Yihan Wang, who has a 3-0 head-to-head record over the Indian shuttler.
A win here will wipe the memories of an otherwise disappointing year for the Hyderabadi that saw her winning only a single title besides parting ways with national coach Pullela Gopichand in April.
It has been a tough year for her as besides battling dip in form and failure to match the success of the last season; she was troubled by an ankle injury during the early part of the year.
Saina had a superb 2010 season when she won a hat-trick of titles and a Commonwealth Games gold medal. However, 2011 turned out to be a dampener as she managed to pocket only Swiss Grand Prix gold and two runners-up finishes in Malaysia and Indonesia.
Saina came into the semifinals after topping the Group B in the round robin league matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt