CAS bans Pellizotti over doping charge
Geneva: The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Tuesday banned Italian cyclist Franco Pellizotti, third in the 2009 Tour of Italy, for two years, overturning an earlier ruling by Italy’s anti-doping committee.
The CAS said in a statement that it had partially upheld an appeal by cycling’s governing body, the UCI, against the Italian decision on a doping charge.
The CAS “has imposed a two-year ban on the athlete starting on 3 May 2010, as well as the disqualification of all his results obtained as from 7 May 2009,” it added, depriving Pellizotti of his 2009 Giro result.
He was also ordered to pay the UCI 115,000 euros (161,000 dollars) as a “financial sanction”.
The UCI had called for sanctions on Pellizotti last May as a result of abnormalities detected in his biological passport but the case was dismissed by Italy’s anti-doping committee for lack of evidence.
The CAS has yet to publish the full grounds for the decision by its panel of arbitrators.
Pellizotti’s defence in Italy had relied on questioning the reliability of the biological passport.
The passport is designed to pick up cases of doping by detecting changes in a rider’s blood profile over time, compared with a traditional test which is aimed at detecting specific banned products in a rider’s blood or urine.
The passport, introduced in 2008, has helped identify possible wrongdoers who are then subjected to traditional controls.
The CAS also confirmed a two year ban on Pietro Caucchioli, one of the first riders to be suspended because of anomalies in his biological passport in 2009, rejecting his appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley