Cash awards continue to pour in for Olympic medallists
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Government has announced a cash reward of Rs one crore each to Olympic silver medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar and shooter Vijay Kumar, while the bronze medal winners will be given Rs 50 lakh each.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan during the `Shikhar Khel Alankaran 2012` awards ceremony here last evening.
The ceremony is held every year on the occasion of the birth anniversary of the hockey legend, Major Dhyanchand.
"The government will give the bronze medallists of the Londond Olympics -- Saina Nehwal (badminton), Gagan Narang (shooting), Mary Kom (boxing) and Yogeshwar Dutt (wrestling) -- Rs 50 lakh cash award," Chouhan said.
The Chief Minister, meanwhile, added that his state was ready to adopt hockey in the better interest of the nation and urged the Centre to give permission in this regard.
"We want to adopt hockey, so that we can provide proper facilities to the players to prepare for 2016 Olympics," he said.
Sushil Kumar, who was also present on the occasion, said he was overwhelmed by the honour given to him on his arrival in Madhya Pradesh and added that his only aim was to win a gold for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding