China thrash India at Asian Women`s Baskbetball
Bangkok: Defending champions China defeated India 97-36 here Tuesday at the 25th FIBA Asian Women`s Basketball Championship.
India`s 11 points in the second quarter was the most they could score in a single quarter while four Chinese players scored at least 11, reports Xinhua.
Ji Yanyan came from bench to take a match-high 16 points with five rebounds, one assist and two steals. Li Meng and Sun Mengran combined for 25 points, Gao Song added 14.
"Even we are on different levels, it`s hard to control somebody under 40 points," said Chinese head coach Thomas Maher. "We are very persistent during the match and the running was good."
Chen Nan, China`s captain and veteran, gave high compliments to her young teammates.
"They brought fresh blood to the team and for those who are playing the Asian Championship for the first time, they did quite well and helped the team a lot," said Chen, who played only 16 minutes but finished with eight points, seven rebounds and a match-high four assists.
"We now play Chinese Taipei and Japan. Both teams are fast and have good shooters. We have to slow them down and control them in the three-pointer line. We are getting better," said Chen.
The best four teams in level one of the tournament will qualify to semi-finals, which are likely to be Japan, South Korea, China and Chinese Taipei. The best three will qualify to next year`s World Championship in Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh