China thrash India at Asian Women`s Baskbetball
Bangkok: Defending champions China defeated India 97-36 here Tuesday at the 25th FIBA Asian Women`s Basketball Championship.
India`s 11 points in the second quarter was the most they could score in a single quarter while four Chinese players scored at least 11, reports Xinhua.
Ji Yanyan came from bench to take a match-high 16 points with five rebounds, one assist and two steals. Li Meng and Sun Mengran combined for 25 points, Gao Song added 14.
"Even we are on different levels, it`s hard to control somebody under 40 points," said Chinese head coach Thomas Maher. "We are very persistent during the match and the running was good."
Chen Nan, China`s captain and veteran, gave high compliments to her young teammates.
"They brought fresh blood to the team and for those who are playing the Asian Championship for the first time, they did quite well and helped the team a lot," said Chen, who played only 16 minutes but finished with eight points, seven rebounds and a match-high four assists.
"We now play Chinese Taipei and Japan. Both teams are fast and have good shooters. We have to slow them down and control them in the three-pointer line. We are getting better," said Chen.
The best four teams in level one of the tournament will qualify to semi-finals, which are likely to be Japan, South Korea, China and Chinese Taipei. The best three will qualify to next year`s World Championship in Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report