China to cut costs during National Games
Beijing: No pop stars, and no firework display. Organisers of the 12th Chinese National Games have pledged to deliver the opening ceremony in a frugal manner.
"The total cost for the opening and closing ceremonies is 9 million yuan, just about 10 percent of the original budget," said Zhu Wenbiao, an official at the organising committee of the Games which will take place from Aug 31 to Sep 12.
According to Zhu, the cost was reduced mainly because of their decision to hold the opening ceremony in daytime, Xihua reports.
"For the first time since China`s National Games were inaugurated in 1987, the opening ceremony of the quadrennial event will take place during the daytime," said Zhu. "There will be no expense for lighting and firework display."
Zhu added that a planned art performance at the opening ceremony has also been scrapped to save the cost.
"Instead, the highlight of the opening ceremony will be a mass tachi and aerobics performance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'
- Two killed, 100 homes destroyed by fast-moving California wildfire
- 14 dead due to sudden flooding in US state of West Virginia
- Barack Obama designates first US LGBT national monument
- DECODED: How 'Brexit' threatens to undermine U.S.-Britain special relationship