China to cut costs during National Games
Beijing: No pop stars, and no firework display. Organisers of the 12th Chinese National Games have pledged to deliver the opening ceremony in a frugal manner.
"The total cost for the opening and closing ceremonies is 9 million yuan, just about 10 percent of the original budget," said Zhu Wenbiao, an official at the organising committee of the Games which will take place from Aug 31 to Sep 12.
According to Zhu, the cost was reduced mainly because of their decision to hold the opening ceremony in daytime, Xihua reports.
"For the first time since China`s National Games were inaugurated in 1987, the opening ceremony of the quadrennial event will take place during the daytime," said Zhu. "There will be no expense for lighting and firework display."
Zhu added that a planned art performance at the opening ceremony has also been scrapped to save the cost.
"Instead, the highlight of the opening ceremony will be a mass tachi and aerobics performance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi