Cops driving me to suicide: Pinki
Kolkata: Alleging a ‘huge conspiracy’ after police filed a chargesheet claiming she was a male, Asian Games gold medallist athlete Pinki Pramanik on Monday said the investigating authorities were trying to force her to commit suicide.
Pinki said that contrary to the police claim, the medical report had concluded that she was incapable of committing rape. However, she said despite requests, she had not been given a copy of the medical report.
"Police have plotted a huge conspiracy against me. They are trying to force me into committing suicide," said Pinki, after police filed a chargesheet in the chief judicial magistrate`s court in North 24 Parganas district`s Barasat.
The chargesheet said Pinki was a male and accused the athlete of raping her live-in partner.
The chargesheet was based on the opinion of the seven-member medical board which had been constituted at the state-run SSK Hospital to confirm the athlete`s gender in June following allegations from her live-in partner that she was ‘actually a male’who had raped her repeatedly.
"As per my knowledge, the board had said I had symptoms of excess male hormones as after-effect of some of the drugs I had taken during my sports career," Pinki said.
The athlete was arrested June 14 and remanded to judicial custody the next day after her companion, a divorcee and a mother of one, filed the police complaint.
After the arrest, Pinki was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports claimed that the athlete was indeed a male. The athlete was taken to the Barasat district hospital and finally to the SSK Hospital for the tests.
Pinki was granted bail July 10 and released a day later after spending 26 days in judicial custody.
Pinki, who retired from athletics three years ago, won gold in the 4x400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, Qatar. Pinki was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow