CWG-fiasco in mind, Delhi now wants to cancel Asian athletics event
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With less than two months left before the 20th Asian Athletics Championship, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Tejendra Khanna has asked the chief minister’s office to ‘reconsider’ its decision to host the event in New Delhi. The request came in view of the utter failure to organise Commonwealth Games properly in 2010 which had left the entire country red faced.
The event, which is scheduled to be held in the first week of July in the capital, was initially slated to be organised in Chennai but it was shifted to Delhi following Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalitha’s opposition to the participation of Sri Lankan athletes in the event.
A leading newspaper reported that Khanna has asked the CM’s office to review its decision to organise the event as it coincides with the monsoon, which would hamper the event and would "result in a poor picture of the country and its infrastructure being projected".
It was also learnt that the Delhi government is in a dilemma to organise the event after the letter from the Lieutenant Government.
If Delhi finally rejects to host the event the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) could shift the event either to Pune or Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25