CWG-fiasco in mind, Delhi now wants to cancel Asian athletics event
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With less than two months left before the 20th Asian Athletics Championship, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Tejendra Khanna has asked the chief minister’s office to ‘reconsider’ its decision to host the event in New Delhi. The request came in view of the utter failure to organise Commonwealth Games properly in 2010 which had left the entire country red faced.
The event, which is scheduled to be held in the first week of July in the capital, was initially slated to be organised in Chennai but it was shifted to Delhi following Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalitha’s opposition to the participation of Sri Lankan athletes in the event.
A leading newspaper reported that Khanna has asked the CM’s office to review its decision to organise the event as it coincides with the monsoon, which would hamper the event and would "result in a poor picture of the country and its infrastructure being projected".
It was also learnt that the Delhi government is in a dilemma to organise the event after the letter from the Lieutenant Government.
If Delhi finally rejects to host the event the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) could shift the event either to Pune or Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok