Darts champion Phil Taylor wins 16th world title
London: Legendary Phil Taylor survived a darting tornado from young Dutchman Michael van Gerwen to win his 16th world title.
Taylor’s 7-4 victory over Van Gerwen was a triumph of nerve and desire as much as precision and stamina, the Daily Mail reports. For nearly two hours, the 23-year-old carried a bluster that suggested he could win this tournament every year for the next decade.
Struggling to lift the opening Sid Waddell Trophy, named in memory of the legendary commentator who passed away last August, Taylor’s face betrayed the colossal effort needed to withstand the barrage of scoring with which he was bombarded.
After winning the title, Taylor said he is the proudest man in the world and it’s the biggest night of his life.
Taylor added that Sid was a father figure to me, and added that he doesn’t know how long he can keep doing this. However, Taylor made it clear that he will be coming back to defend the world title next year, when he will be 53-year old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?