Darts champion Phil Taylor wins 16th world title
London: Legendary Phil Taylor survived a darting tornado from young Dutchman Michael van Gerwen to win his 16th world title.
Taylor’s 7-4 victory over Van Gerwen was a triumph of nerve and desire as much as precision and stamina, the Daily Mail reports. For nearly two hours, the 23-year-old carried a bluster that suggested he could win this tournament every year for the next decade.
Struggling to lift the opening Sid Waddell Trophy, named in memory of the legendary commentator who passed away last August, Taylor’s face betrayed the colossal effort needed to withstand the barrage of scoring with which he was bombarded.
After winning the title, Taylor said he is the proudest man in the world and it’s the biggest night of his life.
Taylor added that Sid was a father figure to me, and added that he doesn’t know how long he can keep doing this. However, Taylor made it clear that he will be coming back to defend the world title next year, when he will be 53-year old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet