Deepika makes it to the round of 32 in Archery World Cup
Kolkata: Deepika Kumari got back into rhythm and kept India`s medal hopes alive advancing into the round of 32 in the recurve individual section at the Archery World Cup Stage 4 in Wroclaw, Poland on Wednesday.
According to information received here, Deepika was the sole survivor in the women`s individual section as veteran Dola Banerjee, Lashram Bombayla Devi and Rimil Buriuly made early exits.
Having got the first round bye, Deepika faced a stiff challenge from American Michelle Gilbert before wrapping the issue in the tie-breaker with a 6-5 margin.
The 18-year-old will battle it out against Carina Christiansen of Denmark for a place in the pre-quarterfinals tomorrow.
In the recurve men individual, Tarundeep Rai, Atanu Das and rookie Priyank kept the hopes alive advancing into the second round.
Pitted against an experienced Jayant Talukdar, Das never gave the Olympian archer any chance with a 6-0 win.
Priyank ousted Arshak Petrosyan of Armenia 6-0, while Rai defeated Karlis Akots Gribulis of Latvia by an identical margin.
Meanwhile, Indian team qualified 10th with 2092 points in the compound section, as Abhishek Verma (699), Sandeep Kumar (698) and Rajat Chouhan (695) finished 25th, 32nd, 36th respectively.
In the compound women section, Indians were 11th with a total score of 2026 as Lily Chanu Paonam (679), Jyothi Surekha Vennam (676) were 23rd, 30th and 38th respectively.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs