Delhi leg of NBA Jam starts from Friday
New Delhi: NBA legend Horace Grant will be present at the Delhi-leg of the 3x3 Basketball tournament - NBA Jam - to share his knowledge and experience with the upcoming players and popularise the American professional league in India.
On his maiden visit, four time NBA champion Grant is excited to witness talented hoopsters and felt it`s an ideal format to help give the sport prominence in India.
"I am very excited to watch young kids compete in this entertaining format. I have heard the players here have lot of passion and enthusiasm for game which is all you want to succeed. I am hoping for a good turnout at the venue," said Grant, who won three NBA titles with Chicago Bulls from 1990-1993 and another in 2000-01 with the LA Lakers.
Grant said that India need to develop infrastructure in order to become a strong force at the international level.
"India needs to focus on developing infrastructure to take the game forward. The standards of coaching needs to be really high. If China can improve such drastically in the sport, I am sure India also can," Grant, who visits different countries as NBA goodwill ambassador, said.
With performances from musical artists and DJs each day during the match, nearly 120 teams are expected to participate in the competition to be held at Delhi University`s Ramjas College from September 20-22.
The tournament will be played in two age divisions for men and women, 16-18 and 19-23 years old. Winning teams from each city will be invited to the National Finals.
It is the largest 3-on-3 tournament ever held in India and the finals of the event will be televised on sports channel Sony Six.
The winning teams (of the different legs) would have a chance to play 3-on-3 against the NBA legends like Ron Harper and Peja Stojakovic at the national finals.
Grant will also be a part of a clinic organised for the underprivileged kids here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY