ED questions Kalmadi in CWG case
New Delhi: Sacked CWG organising committee chief Suresh Kalmadi was on Monday quizzed for nearly six hours by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in connection with its probe into alleged forex violations in the run up to the 2010 sporting extravaganza.
During the questioning, the Pune MP was asked about other clearances that the Organising Committee (OC) of the CWG obtained from RBI to conduct overseas transactions, they said.
The agency has filed a case under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) with regard to the Queen`s Baton Relay that happened in London before the games and other funds that were brought in the country for the multi-disciplinary sporting event that were held here.
This is the first time the ED has questioned Kalmadi in detail with regard to RBI clearances that the Organising Committee had obtained while preparing for the Commonwealth Games.
Kalmadi has earlier denied any wrongdoing in the case.
The ED, according to sources, had asked Kalmadi to bring along certain documents and he was also confronted with some of those which were collected by the investigating agencies.
The ED has earlier questioned few other CWG officials in the case and it is expected to file a detailed probe report to the adjudicating authority of the FEMA soon.
In its complaint (equivalent of a charge sheet) filed last year with the adjudicating authority the agency has alleged that foreign exchange contraventions to the tune of about Rs 5 crore took place in the conduct of the Queens Baton Relay (QBR) held in 2009 in London.
Kalmadi was arrested for his alleged role in awarding the contract for installing the Timing-Scoring-Result system to Swiss Times Omega at a huge cost of Rs 141 crore. He was granted bail in January last year after spending nine months in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Renault Kwid (1.0-litre) SCe vs Maruti Alto K10 vs Hyundai Eon 1.0-litre - Spec Comparison
- Here's everything you want to know about Yo Yo Honey Singh's upcoming song!
- No respite from flood situation in UP, Bihar; schools closed in Allahabad, Varanasi
- India's private airlines request govt to allow them skip Pakistani airspace
- Actor-politician Ramya says 'Pakistan not hell', faces sedition charge