Factfile: "Blade Runner" Oscar Pistorius
Johannesburg: Here are some facts on South African athlete Oscar Pistorius.
- Born on November 22, 1986, in Johannesburg.
- Born without fibulas, he has both legs amputated below the knees before turning one-year-old.
- After learning to walk on prosthetic legs, Pistorius becomes a sportsman in high school. He turns to sprint training in 2003 after suffering a serious knee injury playing rugby.
- Running on carbon fibre prosthetic blades, earning him the nickname "Blade Runner", Pistorius becomes a Paralympic gold medallist over 200m in Athens in 2004.
- In January 2008, he is banned from running against able-bodied athletes by the sport`s governing body, the IAAF, which deems that his blades provide an unfair advantage. Four months later the Court for Arbitration for Sport rules he is eligible to compete in IAAF-sanctioned events. Caps year by winning three golds at the Paralympics in Beijing.
- Selected for South Africa`s London Games team and in August 2012 becomes the first double amputee to compete on the track at an Olympic Games, finishing second in his men`s 400m heat, but fails to make the final. He also anchors the relay team to eighth place in the London final.
- Carries the flag for South Africa at the opening ceremony of the London Paralympic Games and wins two gold medals.
- Arrested and charged with murder after firing four shots at his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door at his Pretoria home on February 14, 2013.
- Released on bail later in February
- Faces a trial on murder and weapons charges which will run from March 3 to March 23, 2014
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India